Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Ready to Run...


Eight months ago – February 1 to be exact – Candi and I registered for the Chicago Marathon.  At the time, it seemed like a good idea.  An event far into the future.  Something big to achieve.  Something to train for.  Something to be proud of.  Now here it is.  I get on a plane tomorrow and get this thing done!
I’ve logged hundreds of miles.  I’ve sweat buckets – it’s been the hottest summer! Let’s NOT talk about the smelly laundry, bleary-eyed early mornings, blisters, gastric distress and general grossness associated with hardcore, badass running.

Now on the eve of my departure, I am filled with a range of emotions.

1.       Excitement.  Nervous excitement.  It’s a bloody marathon, people.  I have been in big races, though none of this size. It’s also TWENTY-SIX POINT FLIPPIN’ TWO MILES.  I haven’t gone that far.  Ever. 

2.       Joy. At finally getting to meet my distant, virtual training buddy, Candi. We met on Facebook.  We have similar interests, which is why we were connected in the first place.  Running, scrapbooking and baking.  What more could I want in a friend?  We have supported each other through training and had a blast – as much of a blast as we can have between Illinois and California.  What an incredible thing to share with such a sweetie pie.  When it’s all done, we will both have this amazing accomplishment and memory of doing it together.

3.       Frustration.  Injuries.  ARGH!  At the beginning of the year, it was plantar fasciitis.  I worked through it and now it’s a dull achy, annoyance.  Two weeks ago: Runner’s Knee.  Did you know, if you Google “knee pain two weeks before marathon” – you get a whole bunch of info on runner’s knee?  I have rested, drugged and shot up my knee these last two weeks.  The one thing I haven’t done much of is run.  I am not afraid of pain.  I am afraid of failure.

4.       Sisterly love.  Mei.  My sister has been supporting me on this from the start and agreed to be my crew on race day.  Never mind that she is also conveniently a massage therapist, which all runners need on race day.
5.       Whoop.  I get to meet Candi's guy.  Words cannot describe my thoughts on this.
In three days I am going to go from runner to Marathoner.   
See you on the other side.

No comments: